Help, tips and assistance for students. This blog is part of a range specifically for students and can be found, along with others, under Student GCSE Blogs.
AQA Paper 1 – Question 4 requires you to evaluate an extract. This means at the top band/level your exam board wants you to:
Shows perceptive and detailed evaluation:
- Evaluates critically and in detail the effect(s) on the reader
- Shows perceptive understanding of writer’s methods
- Selects a judicious range of textual detail
- Develops a convincing and critical response to the focus of the statement
This means you will need to use the following language:
Evaluative words and phrases
e.g. “The poet’s skilful use of metaphor…”
e.g. “The author clearly illustrates that…”
- Makes it clear.
- Makes it apparent.
- Allows the reader/audience to understand…
e.g. “The playwright’s effective use of dialogue successfully demonstrates how…
Further evaluative language:
Eg “The author challenges ….”
Thank you for reading!